An abundance of weekly programs for adults, youth, and children are offered through the Fort Smith Recreation and Community Centre and the Mary Kaeser Library. Click here to see scheduled events and here to learn more about the library.
The Fort Smith Recreation and Community Centre facilities include:
- A large gymnasium with a stage and mezzanine. The gymnasium can accommodate a regulation size basketball court, volley ball court, and three badminton courts.
- An accessible and family-friendly swimming pool, built in 2007. The pool has four swimming lanes, a waterfall, two water slides, a Jacuzzi hot tub, a sauna, and a steam room. Programing for all ages is available and is posted to the community calendar.
- A curling rink
- Pete’s Gym, where you can find treadmills, stationary bikes, step machines, an elliptical trainer, a rowing machine, weight and lift equipment, free weights, and press benches.
- A fitness room for yoga, body sculpting and martial arts.
- A squash court
- Multi-purpose rooms for community programs.
- A movie theatre
- A concession stand
For more information, call the Recreation and Community Centre at (867) 872-4732.
Fort Smith Centennial Arena
The Fort Smith Centennial Arena is open from October through March for activities such as hockey, figure skating, and speed skating. Public and family skate are scheduled throughout the season and can be found on the Community Calendar.
A fire in the spring of 2013 did serious damage to the Fort Smith arena but good news came months later when the town won $25,000 through the Kraft Celebration Tour contest. The monetary prize, along with other funding sources, are helping to not only repair but upgrade the facility substantially. Watch the News and Updates section for more information on Centennial Arena reonovations.