Watch the Town of Fort Smith's Fire Prevention Week video: https://youtu.be/TVbjpIgWiC8
The heart of the home, kitchens are also the most common spot in the house for fires to start. Specifically, unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires and fire-related injuries. Here are some great fire safety tips for the kitchen:
- Stay Alert.
- Wear Short or Close Fitting Sleeves.
- Turn Pot Handles In!
- Clean Cooking Surfaces.
- Keep Combustible Items Clear of Stove.
- Don't Overload Electrical Outlets.
- Working Smoke Alarms save Lives.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby
If a fire starts:
- Remove the heat source by shutting off any burners or appliances
- Do not attempt to put out a cooking fire with water – smother it with a pot lid or baking soda
- If the fire is not easily controlled, isolate the room and call the Fort Smith Fire Department at 872-2222 or 911
For a great demonstration of the correct way to put out an oil or grease fire see the video